Monday, November 30, 2009

Abstract and Timeline

Understanding the restraints we put on ourselves and the social restraints we are bound by has led me to pursue a journey, where I will document photographic evidence of confined freedom. I have a desire to document individuals and record visually their unique story. Everyone is confined by some type of restraint, whether implemented by themselves, their surroundings, or limits set by society. I will be photographing individuals I come in contact with spanning coast to coast. Traveling from Virginia to Oregon, I will be exploring the different American regions, to gain a range of variables. I will travel by bicycle, with a group of 14 cyclists. By traveling with a guided tour, I will be in direct parallel with the individuals I am photographing. The confined freedom I will face while traveling by bicycle spans physical, social, and self confinement. Like many others my freedom has limitations, and is shaped by the world around me, due to safety I can not complete this journey on my own. Another limitation I will be facing is the predetermined path. Traveling by bicycle will create a self reliant freedom. Allowing myself to be very vulnerable, this will create the most direct connection with people, while still being figuratively and very literally locked to my bicycle. The outcome of this adventure is a photographic representation of this journey; exploring individuals that depict the conflicting concept of confined freedom. A gallery showing of the final images will be held at the Student Art Space.


December 4, 2009 pay $700.00 deposit for trip

May 4, 2010 leave Williamsburg, VA

Week 1: traveling through Virginia, hitting the tidewater Piedmont regions

Week 2: leaving Afton, traveling up the Blue Ridge Parkway

Week 3: entering into Kentucky

Week 4: central Kentucky, crossing Ohio River into southern Illinois

Week 5: Chester, Illinois, cross the Mississippi river on the Chester Bridge

Week 6: enter into Kansas

Week 7: continuing through central and western Kansas, until Colorado

Week 8: Pueblo, Colorado marking the half waypoint in the tour

Week 9: windy Wyoming

Week 10: enter into West Yellowstone, Montana

Week 11: West Yellowstone, Montana

Week 12: Idaho

Week 13: Cascade Range

Week 14: Astoria, OR end of trip

August 5, 2010: Fly home

Fall 2010 gallery showing of final images



No comments:

Post a Comment