Wednesday, August 4, 2010

7.25.10 Halfway, Or- Baker City, Or

7.25.10
Halfway, Or- Baker City, Or
Miles: 54

Today was tough, one of the hardest of the trip. The heat was almost
unbearable. It must have been 105 dry heat on the road, with no shade,
nothing taller than the 2 feet tall sage brush that covers the desert
ground.
There was some climbing today too that felt like it went on for ever.
I ran out of water with not a store or house in sight. It was a pretty
scary feeling. Right when I started thinking about flagging down a
car, we got to the Oregon trail visitors center, about 8 miles away
from the town we were going to stay at. There was a spicket there that
I used to fill up, and I wet all of my clothes to cool off. Finding
that water was a much needed break. It's unbelievable how tired and
rundown we feel when we get dehydrated. That water stop couldn't have
been at a better time. After riding about two more miles it was all
down hill to town.

No comments:

Post a Comment