Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Multimedia message

5.14.10
Camp Bethle- Christiansburg, Va
Miles: 55
Temp: 85-90 
Weather: warm

Today I woke up after spending a noisy night in a summer camp style cabin to the haunting feeling today was going to hurt. We started out the same as the past weeks mornings: rush for brakefast, pack, fill up the water botles. We set off, Bryn and I, we tend to ride together because we're going about the same speed. Today Will joined us. after a good first 15 miles or so we sat down for a snack. While sitting on the rocks Olof, Jack, and Paul joined us. We sat for a little longer than our normal pre lunch break. We all started to pack up, Will, Bryn, and I were the last to leave. As we were peaddling off I saw something jump out of the bushes across the street, it was an adorable kitten. So of course I turned arround as quick as I could, droped my bike and went to say hello to the kitten. There were two more still hiding in the bushes, not as brave as the spunky first little guy, who let me pick him up and pet him with in a few moments of meeting. I gave them my lunch meat from my ham and cheese sandwich, they were hungery. But very clean, I suspect they were recently droped off by their owner, there was no momma cat to be found. With much hesitation Bryn and I decided to peddle on. I looked back and all three kittens were running after us crying. Well at that point I brokedown and started balling (it broke my heart) so I had to do something. I was not going to let these adorable brave little baby kittens get hit by a car! So I talked Bryn into getting them, puting them in our bags and riding to town 10 miles away as fast as we could. So we rounded them up and stuffe them in! They were so cute little crying kitties one in my handlebar bag two in Bryns side bag. The little guy in my bag would stop crying when I would talk to him or pet him. I wish I could have kept them. Well needless to say 10 miles with baby kitties in bike bags is no good. We decided hat the first acceptable house we saw we would guilt trip the owners into keeping the kitties. The first house we came to was a beautiful home with a nice boat and some kids toys, I knocked super hard on their door and window, no one was home. We went around back and there was a large bowl of cat food and two bowls of water. We put all three kitties in the bowl and ran so they wouldn't follow us. I shouldn't have looked back as we were riding away but I did the shy pretty kitten was at the top of the driveway looking at us. I knew they would stay where the food was. And the family would find them soon. If they have the heart for one cat they couldn't possibly ignor the cuteness of these little guys. I'm very glad Bryn has the same soft spot in her heart for animals as I do. I Couldn't have saved them with out her help. At this point Will had ridden off so he wouldn't get attached to the kittenes.  About 6 miles down the road there he was waiting for us! What a good guy. We continued on, it was most definitly the hardier day of the trip so far for me but the kittens made it worth every second! 
Ohh and we were cutting it realy close for dinner some in the group didn't appreciate us saving kittens. Ohwell. 

No comments:

Post a Comment