Sunday, July 11, 2010

07.02.10 Rowlings, Wy - Jeffrey City, Wy

07.02.10
Rowlings, Wy - Jeffrey City, Wy
Miles: 70
About 2,728 miles in
Sleep: grosist motel of life
Where should I begin, today was just all around bizarre. Bryn and I
finished up our cooking duty in the morning with the usuall coffee,
cerial, bananna fix. But before brakefast arround 3:00 am we were all
woken up by intense wind. My tent was literaly going to be taken up by
the wind if I was not inside it. I curled up deeper inside my tent and
tried to ignore the wind. With in minutes Bryn and Joe began texting
me (text is the main means of comunication between tents) we all were
awake and excited about the storm. The wind must have been stronger
than 35 miles an hour. When the wind stopes the rain began. I fell
asleep to the rain finally.
After brakefast we started our days ride. At 33 miles down the road we
found our selves at Grandmas Kitchen. The door was open the tables
were set there were tips on the counter...but no one inside it was
really strange. No customers, no cooks, no grandma! About half our
group was there so we all started a little search party for grandma, I
went around the kitchen and around back yelling. Let me tell you from
the looks of the kitchen someone could easily get lost never to be
seen from again, I don't think I would have liked eating from Grandmas
Kitchen. Eventuily we found grandmas son workig on his truck at a near
by house. We let him know that every thing was unlocked, he let us in
but said he wouldn't be cooking for us, so we ate our packed lunch and
bought a soda. Turns out grandma closed up early to go to town to get
her hair done, Lee jokingly asked if grandma was going out on the town
this weekend, and her son replyed " yea, she'll be going up gambling" .

We got to Jeffrey city with very low hopes. Last year we were told
some people didn't want to stay there so they pushed on another 60
miles to the next town. That would be about a 130 mile day, conditions
at the hotel must be bad!... Well they held true.

Bryn and I had to be let into our room with a crowbar. The owner
seemed to have lost the key. He was a character... He told some of the
guys that he was under witness proyection because Alquida was after
him. He finally got the door open and the room inside was discusting
unknown stains covered the floor the beds wernt made just a mess. So
we were give a different room the new room was a little better. There
was pipes running throuh the bathroom that didn't flush right. On
Bryns bed there were a few very large spiders. The shower was a
quarintined area from all the bugs and left over body hair. Bryn and I
ended up sleeping in our sleeping bags, in our tents, on our beds! It
was one of the best nights sleep i've had!

The only other thing you can do in Jeffrey City other than sleep in a
grose hotel is to eat. Oh boy was that another experiance! I don't
think I have ever met a more misrable pair of women in my life. I made
it a point to try and make the waitris to smile, or show a glimce of
joy. I walked away empty handed. The waitris was melonchily, very
bored with life but the cook was just plain mean! Our first run in
with her was when she yelled at a few of us for parking our bikes to
close to the door. She had the bigest chip on her sholder. I feel so
sad for them I wish there was something we could have done to cheer
them up. I tryed smileing, being polite, asking if she needed help,
nothing brouht on a smile.

Jeffrey City is a huge experiance it's deffinitly something to
remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment